Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My First Computer Chip!



Today in my Fundamentals of Circuits I Lab, I got to make my first computer chip. This computer chip is run off of a 9v battery and all it does is make the red LED (the light...) blink on and off. It was really cool to make my first chip in what is only my second lab. This chip's purpose is pretty simple, but there are tricks to getting it to work. I have never soldered before and I had to solder 24 different points without any of them touching each other in order for this chip to work!

As of now, my light does not blink but the professor said that we will be troubleshooting them next week. My chip doesn't work because some of the connections are bridged (touching). I have heard that this is a simple thing to fix. I have been told what needs to be done in order to quickly fix it but I don't know how to do it.... yet. :-)

No comments: