Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yay! My First Year of College is Complete!


GRAND FINALE!!!

I meant to update this on Wednesday because that was officially my last day for this school year, but I had a hard time uploading the video above. I had a GREAT first year at Vermont Tech! I am glad that I chose a school that pushes students to be all that they can be. It seems like yesterday that I was moving into the college, and now I am already on my 2nd day of summer vacation. It is CRAZY how fast time flies by when you are constantly kept busy. I know that this first year was the easiest of them all. I know that next year I will be, yet again, faced with new challenges to overcome.... and I am REALLY looking forward to it.

My last few days at Vermont Tech (for my first year) were extremely stressful because of having to simultaneously pack my stuff to go home AND study for my final exams. I only had three final exams, but two of them I spent a lot of my time preparing for as I watched the clock quickly tick its way down. I am happy to have completed my first year of college because it gives me great amounts of pride knowing that I am first generation college student and have already made it this far. I know that I will miss my college friends over this long four month vacation, but I also feel like this 'extended' vacation is well needed.

My first year of college. It was definitely a time that I will never forget. I have met a large group of amazing and unique people who have made me laugh countless times. People who are true to who they are, and people that share the same passion for both music and technology that I do. I got to see Lowell Sanders and Rusty Dewees, two extremely funny stand-up comedians, a famous sword swallower who has been on Ripley's Believe it or Not!, a French comedian/juggler, and even two live bands that did an AMAZING job of ROCKing out at Vermont Tech.

I also got to go to an Eve 6 concert with three of my college friends. It was my first concert, and the band playing is the same famous band that does the song I marched out to (Here's to the Night) at my high school graduation. Not only did I get to see this band, but I got to be smashed up against the stage during their whole performance. I even had several close calls with being hit by the lead guitarist's guitar because of how close I was.

It was a great year. It was stressful, but I have learned that my dreams truly are a possibility. I have learned so much during this first year. I have built a robotic car that can detect collision and turn itself around, and even a small amplifier that can channel a signal from a microphone through a piece of fiber-optic wire and out to a speaker. I have experienced a new level of education. I am more proud now than I have ever been, but I know that this is simply the beginning. I look forward to the day when I receive my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering Technology from Vermont Tech. It will be the proudest day of my life.

The video above is the grand finale of the end-of-the-year fireworks display on Tuesday night at Vermont Tech. I managed to pick my camera up at the PERFECT time to catch the whole grand finale. The screaming you hear throughout the video belongs to countless students on campus (that are nowhere near my camera by the way) who are extremely proud to be where they are. I share the same feeling. :-)

No comments: