Saturday, April 16, 2011

YEAR #3: ALMOST OVER.


Only two weeks left of classes for this school year!!

I recently had a job interview for a job that looks like an absolute perfect match for me. After this semester, I will have my Associate's Degree in Computer Engineering Technology, so if I get this job then I am probably not going to be returning to Vermont Tech any time soon.

I plan on getting my Bachelor's Degree, but I am not sure when I am going to get it. I was originally going to jump into the Bachelor's program and finish up my last two years at Vermont Tech., but various things have come up that are making me reconsider.

I currently do not know for sure as to whether RAs next year are going to be given an option between a stipend OR a double-room-fee waiver, or if the waiver will be the only option. I can't afford to go to Vermont Tech anymore without having a job to pay for it. The loan payments increase every year, so my parents and I have to pay more money every month for every year of college. I can't live on campus as an RA if I am only getting an exemption from being charged for my room. I NEED income in order to make loan payments, and it's impossible to have a well-paying job to afford college while also being an RA. This is why my interests are being pushed away from the college. Why collect more debt when certain jobs are now available that could seriously push your career forward? That's what I am focusing on now.

I REALLY hope I get this job. I am confident that it will be a great experience, and it would be a huge step forward for me.

I'm also kinda getting sick of the college atmosphere. I have been here for 3 years now. Do I really want to be here for the next 2 years on top of that? I mean, I love being here, but 5 years is a long time. I feel like I have been here long enough, and amazing opportunities are now coming up for me that I would be foolish to NOT act on.

I am ready. I want to have a great job with great people, and I want to be doing things that I have always loved doing. I am confident that the interviews I had went incredibly well, and I should be hearing back from this company within the next week as to whether or not I got the job. I would likely be starting immediately after this school year ends... which would be great because I really want to work this summer.

The picture above is of a guitar tuner that I have been making with my Arduino board. The Arduino board is a programmable microcontroller that you can pretty much program to do whatever you want so long as all the other hardware is there. I programmed my board so that it has two buttons. One button goes to the next note in the standard scale, and the other button goes to the previous note. Each of these notes have a distinct frequency for their sound. To generate the frequency through the output pin, I have a formula within my program that calculates how long the signal must be HIGH and how long the signal must be LOW. It then takes this signal and outputs it through a transducer (which in this case is a speaker). It's a really cool project, and I have enjoyed making it!

I had to adjust my tuner (basically, I had to tune it with a professional tuner) because the commands within the software I wrote happen to produce extra delays on my Arduino board. These delays effect the output of my sound, so to fine-tune my guitar tuner I had to compensate for the difference. The notes, on average, ended up being roughly 8.67 Hz lower than they were supposed to be. I just added 8.67 to all of the programmed frequencies, and currently its most accurate not is an A5.

Well, I can't believe this year has gone by so quickly. I'm extremely excited, nervous, and hopeful, about getting a special phone call next week from a company that I would REALLY love to work for. It will be crazy not coming back to campus next year, but it is all for the best of reasons, and if I get this job then I am going to be incredibly excited for where things are headed. :D

No comments: