Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Vacation! - Halfway Complete... :P

So! I am sure that it is well known by now that I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to, but here I am at the middle of my summer vacation, and I am FINALLY posting again!

My summer has been going quite well. A few weeks ago I had a huge college party which 20 college students from 4 different colleges were represented. It was a really fun time, and it is always great hanging out with my friends. We all have common interests, and we are only different where we should be. It was cool having students from 4 different colleges come over to my house and make new friends. I was finally able to meet some really cool students from Champlain College who I have been wanting to meet for a long time, and I previously only really "knew" them from Facebook. Facebook is a great tool, but it is important to understand that it doesn't compare to face-to-face communication.

I have been looking for a legitimate job throughout this summer, but I have yet to find one. It sucks when the economy is bad and nobody is hiring. I am thinking that if I don't get hired soon that I am going to start my own business that will only be operating during the summer months. I am thinking that I could start doing computer repairs, services, sound system setups, and other electronic services for pay instead of doing it for free like I used to. It makes sense because I have been doing stuff like this since I was probably 8 years old. I obviously wasn't really good at it back then, but the point is that I have had an interest in computers and electronics for a much longer time than any other subject. Professional computer repair and service companies charge outrageous amounts of money for simple jobs, but I am thinking that I could make some pretty good money while also giving people amazing deals on services that they can't find elsewhere. I could charge more for when I have to travel long distances, and that should cover the cost of gas and still guarantee profit will be made. It could be fun, and if successful then I could make it a much bigger deal after college.

I really love working with computers, and I really love learning about how all of the individual components actually work. I have found that with the education I have received even to this point from Vermont Tech that I can pinpoint very specific problems within computers that use to take me a much longer time to figure out. I understand the use of electrical power, different voltages as representing different levels of binary data, and how writing a computer program in what is basically the English language can translate to electrical signals that allow the computer to operate. Computer Engineering is an amazing major because it offers so much background to several different topics within the computer industry including circuit design, theory & application, software development, and network administration & information technology. It may be one of the two toughest majors at Vermont Tech., but I am extremely confident that it will pay off... because I already feel like it is.

It is hard to believe that half of my vacation is already complete, but I am really looking forward to going back to Vermont Tech on August 15th to be a Resident Assistant. I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy my campus job next year, and I am sure that on top of coursework this job will offer plenty of new things for me to learn. :D

No comments: