Monday, April 27, 2009

Week 29 - Final Class Week!

Solar Vehicle - Vermont Public Interest Research Group

It is crazy to look back at how quickly this school year has gone by! I am proud to have already made it through my first year of college. As a first generation college student this is a huge step forward. I am already looking forward to coming back in late August to start my second year. This week is looking like it is going to be a relatively easy week, but I know that this is simply because it is a review week for next week's final exams. I have 4 exams spanned out from Monday to Wednesday, and then I get to go home for summer vacation on Wednesday night! I enjoy being here at Vermont Tech, and I am sure summer vacation is going to seem like it is just dragging on as I will likely be anxious to get back to school. :-)

The picture above is of a solar vehicle that actually produces enough energy for 3 energy-efficient homes. It is owned by the Vermont Public Research Interest Group and part of the reason why they were on campus is that they wanted to spread awareness about the Green Mountain Yankee power plant. A meeting, or a vote, is supposed to take place sometime soon that will determine whether or not the plant is allowed to run for another 20 years. VPIRG is trying to get the plant to be shut down because it has a history of creating radioactive waste. It was pretty cool to see a vehicle that can actually power 3 homes. According to the drivers the solar panel array on the truck is only about $23,000. This is actually extremely affordable when you consider that the extra energy you don't use can actually be sold back to the grid for a profit, and there are also federal tax incentives. :-)

Well, that is all I have for today. I will likely post again this week since it is the last class week of the school year.

No comments: